Monday, October 22, 2012

It is the little things that make life worth-while.

Lately, it has been more apparent to me that people take so much for granted. I have seen so many post on facebook about money, people saying "fml" for several different reasons, from boy/girlfriend problems, to them not getting their way and complaining about the tiniest flaw in their day. And, every time I see one, I am like oh my goodness can your life get any worse?

There are people battling chronic a chronic illness, losing loved ones, Soldiers and Marines fighting a war for their country, Police Officers protecting our streets, Firefighters and EMT also putting their lives on the line to save the life of a complete stranger. You never see them complain about the tiny things in life, and do you know why I believe that is? I believe it is because they have seen, and dealt with some of the most unimaginable things.

People with a chronic, such as myself, know they never know what day they may not wake up. Some having closer calls than others. We meet people who have the same illness on support websites, and become the greatest of friends. We may never meet each other, but we talk non-stop, and form a bond that no one else knows. I have met a few of my best friends that way. They know exactly what I am going through, and we keep each other sane. Though we may never meet in person that bond is so strong when one in our “community” gains their wings we can't help but cry a little, knowing they were taken too soon. But at the same time, we are happy they are breathing easy and not suffering. They are watching over us, and waiting for us at those pearly white gates.

Firefighters, Soldiers, Marines, EMT's and Police Officers deal with life and death situations everyday. They see their fellow brothers and sisters get hurt in the line of duty; whether it be an IED,gunshot,fire,car chase,etc. They see and deal with the most unpleasant of people; Drug dealers,child molesters, rapists, murderers, terrorists, etc. But they also see the good in people, how when a fellow brother and sister in uniform passes the support and love the community gives them, or a random act of kindness. When Soldiers and Marines come home, the welcome homes and thank yous from perfect strangers just glad they have made it home safe after months of deployments defending this wonderful country.

So this, my first blog, is to those who complain about the tiniest flaw in their day. Those who say “fml” on a daily basis. To those who do not know the true meaning of hardships and struggles. Stop living in the moment of something going wrong. It's going to be okay. So your car wouldn't start and you're a little late to work. Okay that sucks yes, but it is not the end of the world. At least you have a job in this economy. Those who take everything for granted, who always want more money,more power. Those do not appreciate the life they have been given, hold grudges, manipulate people; Look at the bigger picture. Life is too short for all of that.

Learn to appreciate the little things in life. Because when it comes down to it, and it is your time to go all the money and power you have means nothing. It all goes out the window. What matters is how you have impacted the lives of others and vice versa.

Just this weekend I took a spontaneous trip to Johnstown, PA., to visit my grandfather. My dad, his wife and little brother had already planned on going. But, when I found out I did not have to work, I told them I would like to tag-along for the weekend. We kept it from my grandfather, and decided to surprise him a little. The whole drive I was excited knowing he did not know, and was in awe of the beautiful fall mountainous scenery I was seeing. It never ceases to amaze me how beautiful the earth can be. See, the little things of being able to surprise my grandfather and see the leaves changing color over the mountains made me one of the happiest girls in the world this weekend. Spending time with my family, making happy memories playing a little football in the front yard. Talking of old past memories.

 


So ask yourself, what are your simple pleasures? Have you made a difference in someones life? If so, do you think it was good, or bad? Who has made an impact on your life?

“What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others”

2 comments:

  1. Hi there, Stephany! I've added your blog to the CF Blogroll. Thanks for stopping by! If you could add one of our CF Blogger buttons to your sidebar, that would be terrific. Oh, and I totally agree with you - the little things ARE the most important! That's one of my personal life philosophies, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephany and welcome to the world of blogging. I love your attidue cyster :) Great post and I am looking forward to reading more from you.

    Check out my blog when you get a chance
    http://livingmydreamswithcf.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete